Hillary Clinton and Young Voters
With the general election rapidly approaching, CIRCLE has been examining the role young people might play this November. Previously, we looked at youth support of and attitudes toward Donald Trump. More recently, we published a similar analysis of Hillary Clinton and young voters:
Our top takeaways include:
- Hillary Clinton won 20 of the 27 state primaries for which we have data, but won a majority of young voters in just two of those states
- Throughout the primaries, Clinton performed better with young women, especially young Black women and Latinas, and with older youth (ages 25-29)
- While at least half of youth have negative views of Clinton, many more young people have unfavorable opinions of Donald Trump
Read more, and find all of related data and analysis at the CIRCLE 2016 Election Center.
CIRCLE Director Talks Youth Voting on C-SPAN’s Washington Journal
On August 22, CIRCLE Director Kei Kawashima-Ginsberg was the featured guest on C-SPAN’s Washington Journal, where she spoke with host Pedro Echevarría and took questions from viewers about the role of millennials in the 2016 political season. She spoke about the issues important to young people, their support of Trump and Clinton, and the importance of civic education in shaping a politically engaged electorate.
Watch the full program.
Stay connected to CIRCLE on Facebook and Twitter to learn more. Sign up here for CIRCLE’s monthly e-update.
Tisch College to Co-host NCoC Conference
CIRCLE’s home organization, the Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life at Tufts University, is proud to co-host NCoC’s 2016 Annual Conference on Citizenship, to be held on October 13-14 in Washington, D.C.
This year’s conference theme, “Strengthening America’s Civic Health: Developing Strategies for Enhancing Civic Life and Improving Communities” promises to attract stakeholders from a range of fields to work together toward civic renewal at this critical moment for our democracy.
Register and learn about related opportunities here.
CIRCLE in the News
In the past month, CIRCLE data and analysis have been prominently featured in various news outlets:
– BBC News: “Can political apps send more young people to the polls?“
– The Boston Globe: “Is Donald Trump alienating young Republicans?“
– Roll Call: “Clinton Needs to Make Up Ground with Young Voters“