Youth Voting in the 2016 Primaries
As both parties’ national conventions officially put an end to the 2016 primary season, our most recent fact sheet looks back at our exclusive, state-by-state estimates of youth turnout and total votes, and reports on major trends from the 2016 nominating contests.
Our top takeaways include:
- Youth participation increased in 17 of the 24 states for which data are available
- In every single state for which we can make the comparison, more youth voted in GOP primaries in ’16 than in ’08
- Even with high increases in Republican youth voting, more young people participated in this year’s Democratic primaries.
Read more, and find all of related data and analysis at the CIRCLE 2016 Election Center.
Guest Posts on Youth Political Engagement Beyond Elections
Our current guest post series explores how youth electoral engagement can have broader goals, including connections to civic life and democracy more generally. The final guest post in the series outlines an innovative partnership that combines education, media, and politics to create a transformational civic experience for youth.
Read Partnering with Your Local PBS Station to Promote Civic Education and Engagement, by Elizabeth Bennion, Professor of Political Science at Indiana University South Bend and Host of WNIT’s Politically Speaking.
See the sidebar for an exciting opportunity to engage in conversation with our guest post authors.
Stay connected to CIRCLE on Facebook and Twitter to learn more. Sign up here for CIRCLE’s monthly e-update.
Youth Engagement Webinar with Nonprofit VOTE
Through our latest guest post series, CIRCLE has been hosting a conversation about whether and how efforts to promote youth electoral engagement (at any age and level) help to increase the prevalence, equity, and quality of youth civic skills, attitudes, and engagement.
In conjunction with Nonprofit Vote, we will now host a broader conversation on that topic, featuring many of the contributors from our guest post series, on August 10 at 4:00 p.m. ET.
Please join us! Register here.
CIRCLE in the News
In the past month, CIRCLE data and analysis have been prominently featured in various news outlets:
– PBS NewsHour: “For these young Republicans, student debt and jobs are top priority“
– The Nation: “Sweet 16: The Case for Lowering the Voting Age“
– The Washington Post: “Clinton seeks young voters with wider debt-free college plan“